7. Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic fluid.
Identify the reservoir, and check the level against the minimum/ maximum markings.
8. Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
Apply the indicators, (not the hazard warning switch) and check the direction indicators separately, by activating them and performing a visual check around the outside of the vehicle. Switch on the ignition if necessary but do not start the engine.
9. Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car (I can assist you. If you need to turn on the ignition, please don’t start the engine).
Operate the brake pedal. Make use of reflections in windows, garage doors etc., or ask someone to help.
10. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack and should be tested as you move off. The vehicle should not pull to one side.
11. Tell me how you would check that the headlights and tail lights are working. (No need to exit the vehicle).
Operate the switch (turn on the ignition if necessary), then walk around the vehicle. (As this is a Tell Me question, there is no need to physically check the lights).
12. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how the tyre pressures should be checked.
The Manufacturer’s guide for the vehicle will have the correct tyre pressure. Use a reliable pressure gauge. Check and adjust the pressure when the tyres are cold. Don’t forget the spare tyre and remember to refit the valve caps.
13. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure they have sufficient tread depth and their general condition is safe to use on the roads.
A visual inspection should reveal that there are no cuts or bulges. The tread depth should be no less than 1.6mm across three quarters of the breadth of the tyre around the entire circumference.
14. Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers.
Operate the control to wash and wipe the windscreen. Turn on the ignition if necessary.
15. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively this should include both front and rear screen.
Set all relevant controls including the fan, temperature, air direction/ source and heated screen, to clear the windscreen and windows. The engine does not have to be started for this demonstration.
16. Show me how you switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use them. (No need to exit the vehicle).
Operate the switch, turning on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary. Identify the amber fog light symbol. Check the warning light is on and explain that fog lights are only used when visibility is less than 100m.
17. Show me how you switch your headlights from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
Operate the switch (with the ignition on if necessary) and check the main beam warning light.
18. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so that it provides the best protection, in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the top of the ears, or the eyes, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. NB – some head restraints may not be adjustable.
19. Tell me how you know if there is a problem with the anti-lock braking system (ABS).
The ABS warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.